Thursday, April 28, 2011

Jis kaam mein tera passion hai woh kar

Courtesy 3 idiots: "Jis kaam mein tera passion hai woh kar.. phir kaam khel ho jayaga. aur tum khush rahoge!! Saleh rancho ne itna aasan se bol diya! "

For those of you who have been unfortunate enough to miss 3 idiots or not a pundit in hindi like me..:p (those of you who know me, know why that tongue sticking smiley), "In what lies your interest and passion, make that your job. Then work becomes play and you'll be happy".. ofcourse all the nostalgia and infectious tears are stripped when i put it in english and write it in a blog. Watch it in a movie - and with aamir khan in it u will realize what it means and how much it means really.

Now, i wud like to end my blog here. But ofcourse the real connection to why i put it in here should be vivid by now. 66 of us landed up in a room where none of us or atleast very few of us had the true passion for what we signed up for. B.TECH IT. Now, i am bold enough to say even today i have zero passion for IT. I can never say i didnt learn anything in that 4 years. but wat i am saying is, I learnt common sense, rationalization, grew as a person, came across hurdles of expectation management, groomed my character, learnt how to rub people up the wrong side and the fact is this list is endless..... but nohwere will i say i learnt java and became an ardent inspired Tech freak. If I was really passionate, i wud have gone to the depths and widths of that subject.

Depths and Widths - i hope u know wat i mean... why C++, why ; and not ¬,.... why is it a FOR loop and not called FATHER loop... going to the nuts and bolts at the same time.... Oh C++, ok who are his competitors, why not Foxpro, what was missing in cobol, what was better in forlan. etc etc. The 5 senses of What, why, how, when, where and what.. oh actually its 6.. whatever!

The point really is, even 50 years down the line i will never make a successful IT person. Cuz my passion and what kicks me lies elsewhere... like for e.g. Communication is my passion, creativity, colors, taxanomy, look and feel is my passion. Ask me to make presentation and i wil focus more on the points above than the actual subject. I cannot accept or digest a Text box lying 1 inch diagonally incorrectly placed. Thats how anal i am about ! which means i want to be perfect it and excel more at it!. That kicks me... Similarly, ask me to give a WRITEUP on something, i can guaranteee that i will give u a decently well done job that can qualify and get nods from critics...

Why do u think that is so? Is it because i am good at it!!!! No..... u are absolutely wrong if u had thought so. Even if i am miserable at it i will kill myself to get better at it. Thats passion for u, ur mind will go on a quest and u will eventually become a maestro at it.

And in the same movie, Madhavan will go to his dad after spending 4yrs of engineering: "Abba, mein engineer nahi banna chahtha hoon aba... agar banaonga tho karab engineer banaonga abba..... Kya hoga, wildlife photographer banjaaonga.. Kam paisa kamaaonga, choti ghar, choti ghaadi... LEKIN MEIN KHUSH RAHONGA ABBA. Jo karoonga aapko dil se karoonga".>>>> "Dad, I dont want to become an engineer.. If i do become one, i will be very bad at it... what will happen if I become a wildlife photographer.. I ll earn less, smaller house, smaller car... So what.... whatever i do for you i ll do it from MY HEART"...

As moving as it is, it is naked truth... I'll give you another example. Juliet Canney, Executive Vice President Europe Supply, Reckitt benckiser took voluntary retirement at the age of 48 and went to her farm house to setup her own garden..As gardening his her passion, life's most delightful thing. SEE SEE SEE!!!

What's it folks? What were you born to do? What is it that sends an electric current up your head and charges all your cells when you do it?

You never know - i might take up music classes and start to play instruments as songs really jive me up and drive my spirits to scales i cant imagine. Music keeps me going. Songs, tamil songs.. :)

4 comments:

  1. Tats a gud one Senthil :) am waiting for my day to become a classic home maker and make a wonderful home :) hope its going to happen sooooooooon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess its always better to take a choice chosen by our mind rather than our heart... The choice of heart comes into picture only when u r well settled n ur life.. as senthil said n his example, his VP had worked in an IT firm till her 48 yrs of age bfore pursuing gardening..(after earning the lumps of money for her future).. My point s simple.. At first, try to become economically strong.. doesn't matter u like t path or not.. but chose the one u believe.. thereafter you can start listening to ur heart :)

    P.S: i can b wrong.. i said t things which came into my mind after reading t post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom says the exact thing hari! but when u do wat u love and do mroe of it and do more of it u eventhually become the best at it.

    and this world is funny u dont ahve to be a doctor or an engineer to be economically strong. and i believe that watever u do. even if i loved cleaning crap, and if i start an agency 20 years later that innovates in this field i will still be economically strong.

    its not funny, its true!. well its always good to have different views - cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Shanthee: it is indeed sounds very honest! i hope you have it all with tonnes of delight and pleasure...

    ReplyDelete

Followers