Thursday, August 20, 2009

PLACEMENT TIME...

Sitting in my house ,my mind drifts to the days when our career was decided. Placement time. Being the P.R along with senthil ,the special moments during the past one and a half years flash through my mind. let me begin the story......

I becoming the p.r was due to the generosity of my class mates(guys) who wanted to devote time to themselves and for their cat and gre preparation (mostly futile attempts) not considering that I would also have some aspirations if not to the extent of theirs. it began one night where the guys were planning for a trip to some place ,as our department was the tour agent for the whole college.It was during the mid of fifth semester and none of the guys had realizedthe gtravity of the situation that recession had afflicted many companies and that opportunities were hard to come by.

Every one was palying the pointing game suggesting the other persons name for THE JOB.Finally as it goes , I in interest of the class took up the job,as a challenge to prove to these guys ,inspite of my work i could get a better company than them. This was in stark contrast to the other classes where there was so much competition for the p.r job.

I, then knew that the path had been set for me where i would have to make a lot of sacrifices.Still I needed a helping hand ,but I did not want to entrust any responsibilities to the very guys who shunned the ultimate responsibility .Many lunchless afternoons, sleepless nights followed.

To add insult to injury many futile placement meetings at the hostel, many an attempt to make the guys study ,all the warnings abt the preparation of the cse guys and the limited opportunities were scoffed at by one FINE GENTLEMAN , as you all know.

There was a plan which went totally awry! the toppers where to help the weak guys during the fifth sem leave and this prep was to last a week. The irony is that none of the guys other than me stayed in the hoste. The hostel wore a deserted look with the fourth floor of g3 block having one lone occupant for 2 weeks. This also marked my one year 2 month exile fom my native place.Despite the fact that no one was in the hostel i managed to engage myself with certain other works in the college , sometime till four in the morning.

As I trudged wearily from the college towards the hostel in the wee hours , i would think about the refusal of the guys which would make my rsolve een firmer .Two weeks of monotony and exhaustion had its toll on me with a few gray hair springing up.This is the time when i got in to the bad habit of sleeping late ,for which I still feel now.

College reopened,more placement meetings, more futile attempts to make the class study and in addition to that my never ending workload and skipped breakfasts, lunches and sleep all transformed me into a person weak by appearance but with a further stronger intention to prove all the guys wrong. As senthil once commented in this blog about me as a skinny lizard like stature (periya's post friends forever ), so i became THE LIZARD.

The sixth sem was lightning quick ,only did all guys realize that time was too short to prepare for the placements. It was time that someone helped me as the job was overwhelming.Then came satheesaran who reluctantly helped me , his lack of interest and fear of underpreparation made him to quit the job.
Then I turned to my old aide senthil,who was too willing to take the job.Only then i realized that he was much fitter fo the job than me. April over.. May started...It was time to face the epicenter of politics in our college ,THE PLACEMENT CELL.

Our(me and senthil's) excursions to placement cell are moments to savour. Getting up by 7, breakfast at famous cafe going to the cell at 8 and sitting ther doing nothing.We were burning our time for the sake of the class , not to mention many ugrateful wretches who still wasted their time and spoiled the study of others also. Lunch was also at famous cafe,not even annalakshmi .Even the frugal meals we ate were to be accounted for.

Attempts were made to arrange classes durin the sem hols ,which all ended up as mega flops:) ,one of my greatest achievements.The next was the collection of money for placements. Once again the barest minimum of 1000 was collected of which almost 3/4 of the money was spent on file,dd to placement cell, xerox blah blah.With the remaining amount we were to manage our food, trips to off campus interviews and what not,for which the accounts were asked by ,"THE MANAGER OF JP MORGAN &CHASE BANK" which financed our vemtures. Pardon the pun here. Only if they knew that the other depts on an average had collected atleast 2000 inr per head,thy would no have asked.God save those poor souls & pardon their ignorance !!!

I the meantime periya was elected as the p.r ,a welcome sign that the girls were atleast into someting , if am not wrong in this context.I dunno how she managed abt but her help was great.

THE D-DAy
TCS , the savior , the ultimate hope for 70% of the class was to come on one fine friday.Many attempts were made to get tcs questions from other colleges last minute cramming ups and wht not. Not only I.T the whole college was undergoing this regeime.Written test- a great debate arose that the toppers should not write tcs written for themselves. Much resistance was expected from the girls side but the twist was , it came from the boys. Plans were made as to who should be seated beside whom.

The persons who scoffed at me during the meetings came to us saying that they knew nothing technical and requested me to put them in a h.r panel. I thought how these persons are, ready t sacrifice their pride easily if they need to accomplish a task.Senthil refused to hear them, but i considered their request, a decision I wuld regret later. Request is a more honourable and flowery way of expressing what they said.

After much melodrama the tcs written test began in the cc lab, with few helping hands from the boys and much from the girls.The end of the written test was marked by many happy faces some releived and some faces with tears.

INTERVIEW DAY
Interview day dawned for us at the palcement cell with me and senthil alone(no one to help) occupying places outside the panels at 7 in the morning. Not a single drop of water had reached our stomachs which had started to growl with hunger bu then. We were also surpisedto find almost 20-30 cse guys occupying the panels most of them where chased away later to make way for p.r. See the difference between I.T & C.S.E. This difference became much obvious in placements also.

I.T slot was in the noon . With much dificulty and co-ordination with the other p.rs we were able to figure out the type of the panels for most of the panels. Then came I.t with me and senthil co-ordinating with the sandwich pc's to make our guys feel comfortable with their panels. evn we wer forced to switch panels and resumes from one panel to another after the resumes had reached the interviewer.Panel switching took place as fast as context switiching witin seconds. Additional effort was required to thwart the attempts of the cse guys to barge in before the i.t guys.

Interview was over for i.t but no time to relax. payback time helping the other p.rs to safely seat their guy, return for the help done by them.

TCS interview over. Many anxious persons left the j block. Dinner for h.r ,served by p.rs.
Time 11.30 : an entire contigent of tired p.rs and helpers rushed in to fill their stomachs with what was left over. For me and senthil it was the first of anything to enter our mouths. First morsel of food at 11.30 , standing and waking for more than 10 hours continuously. Wow I have put my ncc training to good use.
12-30 shifting thing to placement cell despite tiredness.
1-3.30 am waiting for tcs result in plcement cell
4.00 am returning to hostel with the news that result was to be announced the next day.

SUNDAY 9.00 am -3.30 pm waiting for tcs result n college amidst anxious phone calls and false alams that the result had been released.3.30 tcs selcted list announced.Before we could note down the names and convey the info to girls certain kind hearted philanthropists through phone informed the result to the girls.argument ensued between me and periya regarding the timely informing of result only to be solved by senthil's intervention .
TCS Count not upto the mark. Still a long way to go.
I end this post fo now promising to follow it up with a sequel.If u have some memories regarding placements u can please feel free to share them.

20 comments:

  1. My special thanks to rogers,peria and senthil for their wonderful work during placement time.....
    I still remember the day on which some of our class students asked the accounts without doing any work during placements.They got placed because of your effort only.But they forgot everything and behaved in a very bad manner....
    once again thanks for your great job during placement and your patience.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Standing ovation for you three people for helping so much in placements. Thank you so much for helping us out. Special thanks to Peria for attending my interview, thank you very much

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all :) its really been a very long time i came here to meet you.. sorry for that..

    lemme come to the post.. no word can express the thanks i wanna tell you all.. i know i'm never confident on me for anything.. most of the time i underestimate myself.. but its u all who tell me that i can do it and i have really did only bcs of ur words nd encouragement.. a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANKS frnds:)

    my spl thanks to senthil for i made him talk to almost every staff for my placement exemptions ;)

    thanks a lot dear frnds :):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. adapaavame unga placement experience a solla sonna ellarum thanks solringa . neenga company ku shortlist aagurapo epadirunthuchu select aagurapo eppadi irunthuchu ethachum sollungalen paa. i doubt how many will find time to read such a lengthy post. Guys please share your experiences too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeff I have not read a single line of the post yet..

    first things i did:

    1. Saaw the post title
    2. Saw how long it was
    3. FAINTED :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @senthil
    idhu week ends la padika vendiyadhu da . i bet none of them whould have except a few

    ReplyDelete
  8. @jeff
    How u managed such a loooooooooooooong post? But it was quiet interesting :)

    i would leave the petty ones.
    I cant forget d day i got in Nokia Siemens.

    First Thanks 2 Senthil who forced me n encouraged me 2 attend.
    Written went well in morning session. After finishing of my lunch in hostel, myself n sindhu walked in our own pace and reached d classroom ( think mobile computing ) very late :) ... U know her... said she won give attendance 2 us...

    Thats wat v want. V bunked the next hour and thought of goin 2 A-Block canteen ... Happily v went on our tour till Y-block where suddenly v saw a huge crowd.. The name list of short listed students is being pasted...
    This is our conversation

    Sindhu : "What's hap der? .. Y dis much crowd?"
    Prathi : "Think the list has come"
    S : "Oh!.. Ok come lets go n c "
    P ( hearty laugh ) : " Come on Sindhu.. If v go late v won get ath in canteen.. "
    N dragged her towards canteen
    S : " Wait.. lets go n c "
    P : " Come on.. Am goin 2 canteen.. If u wan u come... I hav written many tests n in which i hav cleared none... So lets not waste our time in this place "
    Again dragged her..
    But she freed herself and went 2 c d names on the list...
    I cursed her and said that am goin 2 canteen n she can join me later and started walkin

    A loud voice started callin my name ( who else... its our beloved sindhu again :) )

    S : " Heyyyyy.. Ur name is on the list "
    P : "Enough of ur jokes.. Now come with me... "
    S : " Hey.. Am serious... U urself come n hav a luk "
    P : "Poi sonadhu podhum sindhu... "
    S : " Will ppl lie in this... stupid "

    I had a very faint hope.. So i myself went 2 c name... N der it was :) ' S.Pratheba B.Tech IT '

    I was purely shocked and dumbstruck ...
    Now came the tension.. The comp needs c++ ...

    God.. I had jus wispy memories of me goin through the pages of C++ book... I felt light headed...

    Came the saviours...
    Peria - Who came in a rush from hostel carryin my certificates and c++ , java .. blah blah books for my assistance ( U must hav seen her... Drenched in sweat ) a sweeto in all ways...

    Senthil - I started to panick when he came n made me feel light sayin der s nth 2 b afraid n eth ll go well

    Jeff - As a PR ( not so close wid him b4 )did his job perfect.. Runnin 2 every corner.. Askin other PR s and giving confidence dat i can get d job

    Sindhu - Makin fun of how i dragged her all d way to canteen when the list was thr :) ...

    And all my frnz...
    If dey were nt thr i dunno whether i wud hav gone 2 dat level...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ prathi
    i kept on typing not realizing the length of the post . when the realization hit me that it was too long i decided to stop it and rite a sequel to it as mentioned in the last line of the post. Have written all my experiences during the first half of placement time :)And i wasnt there when ur name was announced for the final shortlisted persons , had gone for some other work. :(

    That canteen epsiode is a bit hillarious. Company oda vada mukkiyamaagiduchu !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. By far one of the neatest jobs and swelling posts ever, not for its content but for its language. Seriously buddy hats off to u.

    I dont know how many of you managed to read each line of what was there and absorb all he had narrated. Well, i cudnt at the first attempt. So, I sat and read it again. 2 reasons why i did that. The episode was so well narrated and i wanted to learn all the new vocabulary he had used.

    Another reason why all of us shud embrace jeffrey for. Good, very good usage of words and elegance in writing

    Jeff - a thought to u. u shud have split it into 2 episodes. One - pre-placements Two - placement period

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dude seriously, we both have our souls attached to this story. And i am as happy and impressed and flattered head over shoulders that u told this story so elegantly.. well done mate.. let all those unsupportive souls who were an intervention to the good deeds u indulged in rest in peace with the swine flu pigs

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ senthil
    thaska mate for the comments :) yeah man its about us the entire post . so we should feel proud that we did a very good job and should feel happy about it thinking it even after we become oldies, after all old is gold

    ReplyDelete
  13. For all u guys who are in this fraternity.

    I would like to take this opportunity to tell u guys this. There is this inevitable thing that i learnt in placement politics. And me and jeffrey played it very clever.

    When we both were there for a period of 7 months we learnt a million ethics about political relations. But i am happy that i had jeff and the vice versa. The reason is this:

    I was the freelancing, social networking, open-talking and the political sciences guy... where as jeffrey played another crucial role of the more straightforward, candid, self-contented and neutral guy. together we made a team..

    the one team that i am reminded of now is the SWAT KATS.. I have to say i don the role of T Bone as he is the fatter of the 2. The irony being i myself am lean..but jeff is a lizard illaya :) so he has to be razor

    ReplyDelete
  14. @senthil
    i fotgot to add the swat catz music to hari's list and am not a lizard am THE LIZARD.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @senthil
    u r right... His vocabulary s so good dat i had 2 open my dic for evry 1 min... :)
    @jeff
    company-oda vada dhaan mukiyam.. ofcourse v all earn jus 4 dat.. isn't it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. One comment wont be sufficient to hold my experience I guess :P for the number of comapnies I attended and went till interview :( As far as Lister when life had taken me till then, with the despair I was in at that time, all that I felt on getting placed is, one work over I can go off to home now so that I can take care of Sundar fully by being near to him...

    As far as studies related stuff is concerned this is the first time I have felt neutral and truly experienced a Taoist achievement :) Felt eternal happiness by not becoming too happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @prathi
    yeah of course !!! vadai thaan vazhkai :)
    @meena
    taoism :) hmmm i guess true happiness arises when one performs his duties well without any expectation of the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adengappa that was some intellectual stuff for me.. to u 2 who have managed to make sentences with taoist

    who are Lao-tzu and Chuang-tzu

    ReplyDelete
  19. Guess it is very late reply, stil @Jeff: that is what Taoism says :) "Do what you have to do,
    then walk away. Anything else will drive you nuts."

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Senthil: As far as I know Lao-tzu is considered father of Taoism, Chuang-tzu principles were also taoistic

    ReplyDelete

Followers